The use of marijuana has the following side effects:
- Addictive potential- which leads to harmful side effects on social functioning [i.e. work, school, etc.]. There are withdrawal effects which can last 1 - 2 weeks after stopping use.The use of marijuana may cause relapse in a chemically dependent & addictive personality.
- Mental health- Chronic use of marijuana has been linked to schizophrenia, paranoia, anxiety disorders, & psychotic reactions. Regular use of marijuana also causes short term memory loss, problems with concentration & coordination, as well as impaired judgment. There is an increased risk of accident & loss of motivation.
- Effects on the heart- Smoking can result in an estimated 4.8 times higher chance of getting a heart attack, as well as increased risks of tachycardia & arrhythmia.
- Effects on the lungs- Prolonged smoking moderately increases the risk of lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, bronchia asthma & upper respiratory tract infections.
- Hormones- Regular use in pregnant women increases the risk of lower birth weights & health problems for the baby. Men experience decrease in sperm count.
- Be responsible in the presence of minors & young adults under the age of 18. Second-hand smoke can be detrimental to a child's development, both physically & mentally. Smoking near minors may influence them in illegal use.
This is not a complete list of all side effects or drug interactions that may occur. If you have any questions, or experience any adverse side effects, discontinue use & call Dr. Nardacci
immediately. Always weigh the risks against the benefits when deciding whether or not to use medical marijuana.
Also consider any legal risks that may arise due to the use of marijuana [i.e. employer/ employee relationships, child custody cases, or criminal cases where you may need permission from your parole officer or court to enter the program. If already under supervision, you can be charged with driving under the influence [DUI] while using this medication.] Please check with your attorney if you have any doubts. The doctor does not participate in any program that puts your medical records online. If you voluntarily provide this information, which is your right to do so, please be careful as to whom you share it with & consider how they might use it. By self- disclosure, you may be waiving your rights under HIPAA protection. **PREGNANCY WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU USE MARIJUANA IN ANY FORM IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR TRYING TO CONCEIVE, OR ARE NURSING.**
**PATIENTS WITH CARDIOPULMONARY DISEASE SHOULD ONLY USE MARIJUANA IN AN ORAL FORM SUCH AS CANNABUTTER, ALCOHOL EXTRACTS, OR MARIJUANA TEA.
**ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE WHILE OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE OR ANY OTHER HEAVY MACHINERY. DO NOT ENGAGE IN ANY ACTIVITIES THAT MIGHT ENDANGER YOURSELF OR OTHERS. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE USING MEDICAL MARIJUANA.